Law Blog


    31 May 2014

    Disability Rights California:

    General Information:

    California Statutes and Training:

    Obtain recent case decisions (California):

    Continue Reading

    1 November 2011

    There are many factors and issues that come up with regard to child support and spousal support. Some of the issues that arise with regards to child support are: each parties’ income compared to their earning ability, timeshare with the children, the age of the children, daycare, extracurricular activities, tax exemptions and medical costs. You also have to know what to do when someone does not pay child support or does not pay the right amount. How do you garnish wages or file a contempt case or open a case with the department of child support services or levy a bank account? Often times you need to request that a forensic accountant evaluate a business to determine cash flow. Our attorneys have the experience to help you with all of these issues.

    Some of the issues that arise with regards to spousal support are: each parties’ earnings compared to their earning ability, the length of the marriage, the standard of living during the marriage, the health of the parties, whether there was any domestic violence and whether either party has been out of the workforce because they were taking care of children. Similarly to child support, you also need to know what to do when someone does not pay spousal support or does not pay the right amount. You need to know how to garnish wages, how to file a contempt case and how to levy a bank account. Often times you need to request that a forensic accountant evaluate a business to determine cash flow.

    The proper advice and strategy can affect the outcome of your case. Our attorneys have extensive experience handling spousal support and child support matters throughout Southern California. They can give you the advice and strategy that you need. Contact us at (909)941-4114 for your free consultation to see how we can help you.

    Continue Reading

    31 October 2011

    How many times have you been in an IEP meeting and felt bullied? How often have you been confused about what your rights are for your child? How often have you wondered whether the special education program your child is receiving is truly benefiting their needs?

    Let’s face the facts: Parents of special needs children don’t always understand the intricacies of special education law. At IEPs you are told that your child has a certain need, based on a test, where certain percentiles are scored leading to your child qualifying for a confusing three or four letter acronym. As a result, you put your trust in the school district (often times with no other option) even though it may not always feel right.

    You go home and start questioning the school district’s decisions. You think to yourself, “Hey I know my child best. I should be receiving more services!” But where do you turn? Whom do you ask? What is special education law? Sound familiar?

    Special education has come a long way since the first major law protecting our special needs children in 1975.[1] Today, students who are determined eligible for services under the IDEA are entitled to receive appropriate special education and related services that consist of specially designed instruction at public expense. This concept is commonly referred to as a Free and Appropriate Public Education or FAPE. The key to providing a FAPE is for school personnel to develop and implement programs that are based on a full and individualized assessment of a student that consists of specially designed instruction tailored to meet the unique needs of a child with a disability.[2] This may sound basic, but as we all know, it is not.

    As a former special education teacher, parent advocate, adjunct special education professor, and now special education attorney, I have helped distressed parents who seek my help as a last option. I truly feel school districts have the best intentions, but for one reason or another frequently refuse to provide parent requested special education services. Even when a situation like this happens, I am often asked, “Do I need an attorney?” Ultimately, that determination is yours to make, but if you feel that your child is not receiving the services you have requested, it may be time to seek out counsel.

    In 1980, the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in the case Stemple v. Board of Education held that the IDEA contains a bill of rights – the due process hearing – for parents wishing to contest a school’s special education decision regarding their child. The purpose of this hearing is to allow an impartial third party, the Administrative Law Judge, to hear both sides present their arguments, examine the issues, and settle the contest. In a society based on litigation, even special education cannot escape the threat of a lawsuit. The reality, however, is parents were afforded this right and should always exercise that right when needed.

    If you are in need of an attorney, feel free to call the LAW OFFICES OF LIU & NAIME. The special education advocates, paralegals and attorneys at our unique law firm are always willing to speak to you about your case. We provide free consultations and have a sliding fee scale making it affordable for your child to be represented. Remember that you are your child’s voice, so continue to advocate for your child, speak up for your rights and, most importantly, always ensure your child is being properly educated.

    Craig Liu, Esq.

    (909) 456-8818

    [1] In 1975 Congress passed the Education for All Handicapped Children Act. It is now called the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or IDEA.

    [2] See IDEA, 20 U.S.C. § 1401 (a)(16)

    Continue Reading

    10 February 2009

    Child custody and visitation are usually the most important issues in divorces involving children. Our attorneys have extensive experience representing mothers and fathers in child custody and visitation matters. It is important to understand that family law trial courts have the widest discretion in deciding what parenting plan is best. The overarching factor for the court is what is in the best interest of the minor children. It is imperative that you have an attorney that will vigorously and passionately present your case to the court. Additionally, you must also know when to request minor’s counsel and/or psychological evaluations. At the Law Offices of Liu & Naime, we know that this is the most important of issues. Our attorneys have extensive experience representing mothers and fathers in child custody and visitation matters throughout Southern California. We have the experience, dedication and strategy that can make a different in your case. 

    In addition to family law, our attorneys also represent children with special needs. Our attorneys are adjunct professors in the field of special education law and have represented many children with special needs. We are one of the few family law firms that has extensive experience in the field of special education.  If your family law matter involves a child or children with special needs you will want an attorney that has experience with children with special needs.  Our attorneys have that experience and can properly and accurately present your child’s needs to the Court. This will allow the Court to be able to make a decision regarding what is in the best interest of the minor child or children.

    Our attorneys also have experience in dependency court representing children that have been taken away from their parents. With this experience, our attorneys know the arguments on both sides of the table.  If you are going through these issues, you will need the right attorney more than ever.  If you have a dependency matter or a family law matter that involves parent misconduct or abuse, we have the experience to help you.

    Contact us at (909)456-8818 for your free consultation to see how we can help you.

    Continue Reading